Hello SVHA Families:
We wanted to provide an update with respect to the recent comments from Dr. Deena Hinshaw. She stated – “Physical activity is critically important for the overall health & well-being of youth & is necessary to daily living. That is why AB government decided against requiring proof of vaccination for youth U-18 who are taking part in sport, rec & performance activities.”
It is important to understand that even though this announcement was made, some facilities are still adhering to the Restrictive Exemption Plan requiring everyone over 12 years old to have proof of vaccinations or letter of exemption or a negative Covid test within 72 hours of a scheduled event. Unfortunately, there still seems to be wide interpretations of restrictions made by the facilities, and the different restrictions that have been implemented by each of them. Hockey Alberta and Hockey Calgary continue to work with the Alberta Government for more clarity which will allow for more standardized practices across the city. It is their belief that a standardized approach will be needed eventually to permit game play across the city in the many different facilities.
Here is what we do know as of today Sept 21st:
- Hockey Calgary and SVHA have NOT mandated a vaccine requirement
- Hockey Calgary and SVHA do NOT own the facilities (we are user groups)
- Hockey Calgary and SVHA have 2 options
- Follow the protocols/restrictions put in place by the facilities
- Choose to shut down our programs completely, and nobody plays
- Regarding facilities:
- A number of facilities within Calgary have rescinded vaccination of 12+ and have made it 18+
- Most rural communities have rescinded vaccination of 12+ and have made it 18+
- 7 Chiefs Sportsplex will continue to require vaccination 12+ (they follow rules from ‘Nation’)
- The city has not made a statement on what their requirements will be in city facilities
- There is a rumour that the City may institute a Bylaw for the full city on all facilities – TBD
Therefore, for now, we must follow the guidelines and requirements at our assigned facilities.
Vivo for Healthier Generations – no proof of vaccination required; masking is mandatory; ONE spectator/family member per player
Don Hartman NE Sportsplex (NESS) – Restrictive Exemption Plan – require proof of vaccination or letter of exemption or negative Covid test within 72 hours of a scheduled hockey event for everyone over 12 years old; masking is mandatory
Please continue to respect the decisions made by these facilities and we will provide further updates as we receive them.
Thanks and stay safe and healthy!